Who doesn’t dream about a long, shinny, healthy hair? Here are the basic tips gathered in one simple, easy to read article. Learn how to protect your hair, what products to use and how to use the hair dryer and strengthener.
How to Treat Long Hair?
- If your hair is braided or you have a ponytail, use a specially treated band or scrunches which will prevent breakage of your hair, limit your use of clips, bows, and untreated bands
- Don’t use a brush to detangle your hair, this will stretch your hair and may cause your hair to break off. Instead use your fingers, a pick, or a wide tooth comb to detangle your hair
- Don’t rub your hair dry with a towel, instead blot the water out of your hair, when you rub, it’ll cause your hair to tangle.
Tips for All Hair Types: How to Treat It (shampoo It, Use Conditioner, Not…, Dry It):
- For healthy hair, shampoo it every other day (or even every third day) with a gentle cleanser that’ designed for color treated hair if needed.
- Always comb your hair (don’t brush it) when wet, use a gentle detangling motion and wear soft rubber bands that won’t snag.
- When you emerge from the shower, don’t wrap your hair in a towel/turban for more than 5 minutes.
- After towel drying your hair, use a paper towel to blot or wring out your hair again. This additional step pulls out moisture without roughing up the cuticle and ensures that the hair will dry faster
- Prior to blow drying your hair, apply three small drops (use less for short hair) of detangling serum to keep the cuticle closed.
General Hair Tips:
- Healthy hair is shiny, and soft.
- Healthy hair does not tangle easily.
- Healthy hair is clean and not overly oily.
- Hot air can be damaging to your hair so when using a hair dryer use the cool setting.
- Don’t leave the blow dryer in one spot for more than a few seconds, keep it moving and at a good distance away from your hair.
- To speed up the drying process, pat your hair dry with a towel and let the remaining moisture in your hair dry naturally.
Summer Hair Care Tips:
- If you are outside and forgot to put leave in conditioner with sunscreen in your hair, you can put regular sunscreen in your hair, but make sure you rinse it out with a deep cleansing shampoo when you get home
- Try washing your hair less often; shampooing your hair strips the moisture out of your hair
- If you know you are going to be in the sun for a long time and if you don’t want to wear anything on your head, use a leave in conditioner with sunscreen in it before you go out
- Use a conditioner on your hair daily.