There are very few women that can wear just “any wig.”
In fact, choosing the right wig starts with a proper assessment of the shape of your face. What shape below best describes your face?
- Oval: With an oval shaped face, almost any style wig will work.
- Round: Length works better than width. Mid-length and longer hairstyles round the face off and gives the face a slimmer look.
- Square: Styles that lengthen the facial structure are the best choice.
- Heart: Narrow chins and wide foreheads need volume towards the chin. Bangs or hair on the forehead will hide the width of the forehead. Subtle layers are good for this facial structure.
- Long: If you have a long face, opt for a curly or wavy style, which can visually add width. Beware of long hairstyles with no short layers, which can make the face appear longer. These type of wigs can shorten the face visually and modify the face line. In addition, long straight hairstyles are not appealing.
- Triangle: Your facial structure is a cross between a heart and an oval. Almost everything works with your balanced face shape. Try a variety of styles.
The Best Way to Care for Your New Wig
Learn the Difference in Maintenance Between a Human Hair Wig and Synthetic Hair Wig.
If you are not sure if you have a synthetic wig, a human hair wig, or a blend of both, it is safe to assume that your wig has some synthetic hair in it, which makes it more susceptible to melting and tangling. Human hair wigs are a bit stronger when it comes to heat, but all wigs are different. Pay attention to the care instructions attached to your wig or ask your retailer how to maintain it.
Invest in a Great Shampoo and Conditioner Especially for Your Wig.
For those of you who didn’t know, there are shampoos and conditioners especially for wigs. It is important that you invest in these products because the chemicals of regular shampoos and conditioners are too harsh for wig hair, especially synthetic wig hair.
Using regular shampoo on your wig can ruin the hair’s texture or leave it in a tangled mess, so be careful to invest in these products. Your washing technique should be different as well. Soak your wig in shampoo and water and comb the shampoo or conditioner gently through the hair. Do not rub or massage the wig. Rinse with warm water, then detangle it and let it dry. Invest in a wig brush to brush the tangles out of the hair.
Take Your Wig to a Stylist for Any Modifications You May Want.
Just to reiterate, if you decide you want to make any style changes to your wig, take it to the salon and have them style it for you. This is important for two reasons:
1) Cutting your wig is like cutting your own hair, once you make a mistake, you can’t take it back, and
2) All wigs are different, so it’s never safe to assume one technique is better than the other without in-depth knowledge about the hair. There are many salons out there that specialize in wig styling, so don’t be afraid to ask.
Do Not Sleep or Shower With Your Wig.
You should wash your wig often to prevent chemical and oil buildup. Other than that, you want to avoid water as much as possible. This means you should absolutely remove your wig when you are in the shower, pool, or heavy rain. You should avoid sleeping in your wig to avoid knots and tangles when you toss and turn.
Keep Your Wig Covered and Upright or Covered When Not in Use.
You should maintain the same level of care when you are not wearing a wig as when you are wearing it. It is imperative to protect your hair from tangling and dust. One way to do this is to hang your wig on a mannequin or a hook. If your wig came in a package, you can keep your wig in there when you aren’t using it. Many wigs come with a net covering inside the package that may be helpful to use when storing it.
Continue to Care for Your Own Hair While Wearing a Wig.
Wearing a wig is not an excuse to neglect your own hair. Always make sure your hair is clean, pulled back, or braided to avoid hair showing outside of the wig. It is also recommended that you use a wig cap to keep hair clean and moisturized. If you plan on wearing your wig consistently for a long period of time, a wig cap can help maintain the style of your own hair, preventing ‘hat hair’ caused by the wig.
If you are looking for a reliable company that offer great content and luxury hair wigs then you have to check out PureAllureHair. They offer multiple kinds of hair, from brazilian to peruvian hair, they are the go to company for your hair extension needs.