When it comes to healthy foods, nobody expects the name of ‘pork’ to be on the list, but why? Pork can be healthy too; it’s just that people need to find the right type of pork recipe.
People have a perception that pork contains fat that is bad for health. They believe that eating pork will result in clogged arteries, high sugar levels and many other health problems, which is true to some extent. But again, it depends as to what kind of pork recipes are those people eating. I used to think the same, but when I started using my Traeger Renegade grill to prepare grilled pork, I found out that pork wasn’t that bad for health. In fact, it is as good as any other meat dish.
I would recommend you to try grilled pork because it tastes a lot better than any other pork dish, plus you don’t get the same harmful effects of eating pork. I am sharing one recipe today, so if you want, you can try this.
Name of the recipe: Barbecue Pork Chops
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound pork chops, boneless and trimmed.
- 1 ½ tbsps., cider vinegar.
- 1 tsp dry mustard.
- 1/3 cup ketchup.
- ¼ tsp salt.
- ½ tsp garlic powder.
- ¼ tsp ground pepper.
- 1 tbsp., molasses.
- ½ tsp onion powder.
- Start off with preheating the grill to medium-high.
- Take a small saucepan and add vinegar, garlic powder, molasses, onion powder, and Turn on the heat and mix all the ingredients so that you get a thick and consistent paste. It will take 5-10 minutes.
- Brush the grill rack with oil. Season both sides of pork with salt and pepper and then, grill each side of the pork for 5 minutes. Then, flip to other side and baste pork with some sauce that you made earlier.
- Keeping cooking the pork until you get a brown juicy surface. The juice will also start coming out, which will indicate that the pork is ready. Or, you can insert a smoker thermometer in the thickest part of the port. If the reading comes out to be 145 degrees Fahrenheit, then it means the pork is ready.
- Now you can pour the remaining sauce on top of the pork.
Tip: If you are looking for an efficient way of oiling grill rack, then you can take a paper towel, fold it and dip in the oil. Hold the towel with tongs and rub it over the grill rack. Refrain from using cooking spray on the rack.
Let me also mention the nutritional value of this recipe. Here is what you are going to get in terms of nutrients.
- Carbohydrates: 11 gram
- Calories: 166
- Fat: 5 gram (1 gram saturated)
- Fiber: 0 gram
- Sugars: 9 gram
- Added Sugars: 6 gram
- Protein: 19 gram
- Iron: 1 mg
- Vitamin A: 119 IU
- Folate: 3 mcg
- Vitamin C: 1 mg
- Sodium: 390 mg
- Calcium: 33 mg
- Potassium: 397 mg
If you have been eating fat-enriched pork dishes up till now, then try this one for a change. It will not feel that heavy on the stomach and heart, plus you will be able to cherish the flavor of pork. You can improvise this recipe as per your ideas.